Shabby blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First day back at the VA!

First day back at the VA and I am feeling a little rusty. My first patient of the morning was a guy that had been in to the VA before and had half of his mouth done and he needed to come in to finish and to have a comprehensive exam. CompEx at the VA are dreadful! They are so dang long, especially with the dental residents. I don't know why they feel like they have to reprobe and retake every xray. It is frustrating. Fortunately the dental resident didn't make me retake any xrays or reprobe, but he kept leaving the room to ask another dentist questions. Luckily I was able to finish 2 quads of class III and I was able to see the other morning patient and finish him.
The second patient was a middle age guy with really malposed teeth. Some of his teeth were so buccoverted that they weren't in the occlusion. It was pretty difficult to clean around those teeth because #22 didn't have any gums on the lingual side. Good experience with him.
My last patient of the day was a gem. At first I thought it was going to be a really long afternoon because she came in wheelchair (she was pretty overweight) and she kept telling me things I couldn't do because it would hurt her. But by the end, she was fantastic and she was a lot more friendly. We have Instructor Dixon and I really like that she is Nazi about doing a pre-rinse. I have never got into the habit of that and I wish I would do it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment