Shabby blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Marianne did awesome today...

I had a very productive day planned yesterday about 4:00. Until I got a call that my morning patient (a class IV!!!!) canceled because he found a job and couldn't come this morning. I was very sad about this because I was really planning and hoping for this patient for my eaglesoft patient. But lo and behold  a miracle happened. I had my class III/class IV coming in today for a tissue evaluation after the laser. Thank you laser! I was able to input all of my eaglesoft information this morning because I didn't have a patient and I was able to get another project done! That was pretty awesome and I was happy about that. I love checking things off of my list to do.
I was very happy that I was able to complete this project, but I don't want anyone to think that I wasn't also very impressed with how well the tissue responded to tx! It is so glorious to see the beginning scary and then to see the after results of treatment. Her pocket depths were almost all wnl! There were only 3 areas that had a pocket depth of 4mm. For how much she had before we started this is an amazing feat. It was so amazing to see the difference because I had seen her before. It also made me feel really good when she was telling me afterwards how happy she was that her mouth was feeling better and that she was more healthy. Warms the heart.
My other afternoon patient was a little boy who I saw last year. His dad was a mockboard patient for a senior last year and so I asked him again today if we could have someone take a look at his mouth. And it worked out PERFECTLY!!! Jodie screened him and he is perfect for boards. I had him scheduled next tuesday to clean his mouth, and so now jodie is going to be able to clean the rest of his mouth, have him for boards, and the pt only has to take one day off of work instead of 2! This my friends is what we call a win-win situation.
I have to put a little diddy in on my day yesterday at the VA. I had a fast morning, and by fast I mean I was done by 9:00 and then I sat around until 1:00 because the 9:30 pt's never showed up. Boo. It was a LONG lunch. I took some xrays on my patient in the afternoon and then Connie came in and asked if I wanted to have a really cool experience. Um, of course Connie, is that even a question? So I walk in to this patient and he turns to look at me and he has a huge tumor on his neck! When I say huge I mean like there is a grapefruit growing out of his neck. I started working on him and he was only able to lay down in the chair for about5 minutes at a time without having to sit up and put his head between his knees because the tumor was cutting off his blood supply and giving him a huge headache. I felt so bad for him. It got so bad that he we sat him straight up and he was only able to lean his head back for about 1 minute at a time. I was having a hard time because he was a class IV and I was trying to go as fast as I could, but I just didn't have the time or the vision to be able to do a very thorough job. I asked Connie to come in and finish and she really went at it with the US, but the patient was having a really hard time, but he wanted to get everything finished because he was starting radiation. It was a pretty stressful and anxious appt. Connie went crazy with the US and we got done as fast as we could. I had a minor breakdown after because it was so hard to watch him and his wife have to go through this tough time. I was definitely ready to be home yesterday night. So relieved to be home that I forgot to call my patients (that hadn't canceled) to confirm them. Good thing the afternoon patients came!

No comments:

Post a Comment