Shabby blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

plaque city!

This morning I had a lovely lady who is also in my ward. She has had bone loss before and she has a lot of crowns (every tooth except her lower anteriors). So she doesn't get a lot of calculus, but she had a ton of plaque. She told me that she had a tooth that was bothering her, but she didn't want to take an xray because she didn't want to spend the time. To me it looked like a loose crown and I stayed away from it because I didn't want to disrupt it. When Prof. Perry came over he looked at it and he thought it was probably loose from bone loss. So I was able to take a PA for her to take with her to her dentist. Bone loss is so crazy to me, the bone had completely shrunk away from that one tooth. She doesn't have disease in that area. I feel bad that she will probably loose that tooth.
My afternoon was pure craziness. I had 2 kids scheduled and they were 9 and 10 years old. I have worked on their mom before and she wanted to get her 2 boys in.
Good things about afternoon appointment:
1. Got to get 2 sets of bitewings
2. Was able to help Karen out with a pano
3. Passed off sealant and air/powder polish PE
4. Really able to get into OHI with young boys

Bad things about afternoon appointments:
1. Boy #1 was a crazy wiggle worm! Couldn't keep still for the life of him.
2. Completely forgot to show my instructor my xrays before my patients left (bad Michelle, but not as bad as when Adrienne sends her pt away without getting a scale check)
3. Took a lot more time then I expected
4. Wasn't able to complete the sealants on Boy #1 because he started crying thinking that I was shoving things down his throat and he was pulling my hands out of him mouth when there was etch all over his teeth.

All in all the good outweighed the bad, but I was still stressed because of how long everything took and because I was in clinic until after 5 o'clock today.

Another major stresser is class III's....WHERE ARE YOU! I feel like almost everyone in our class is struggling with finding class III's. Prof. Alexander just smiles and says everything will work out, and my brain trusts her, but my emotional side is still freakin out. 

Good luck fellow students in our search for those elusive class III's!

3 comments:

  1. Oh shoot, I think I took all the class III's - my bad!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is hilarious. Evan just asked what I was laughing at from the other room :) Adrienne really walked out a patient without a scale check?? Ha ha oh man that's awesome. And to Brooke: I envy you, pod partner. 25 fa-reaking quads of a III!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha.. I like this post Michelle. Boys can get a little crazy... I was raised by them mostly. I know you do a great job in all you do!

    ReplyDelete