Shabby blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mockboard #1

What a great learning experience I had today. First of all I am SUPER grateful that my wonderful patient showed up. She is so reliable and I just wanted to hug her when she walked in the door. Here are some things I learned from mockboards:

1. Try sitting in different positions not only for scaling, but also for exploring. I was amazed at how different deposits felt when I moved positions and tried different tactics. Too bad it didn't help get every single piece off though...

2. Some patients are just bleeders. I felt like I spent half of my scale time washing my patient out because there was so much blood. But then I figured out this trick of having a 2x2 in the mouth and sopping it up while I was working and that worked out a lot better for me. I didn't have to spend as much time rinsing.

3. I had morning clinic and by the afternoon clinic I was completely pooped out and when I had to be a student examiner and feel other calculus, I really just didn't feel like it. I had been feeling and stressing over calculus all morning. I mostly just wanted to sit in the wet lab with my feet up on the table and talk to my peeps.

4. Loved the rock 'n' roll music playing all morning. Dr. Hanson was rocking out with a patient and that made my day.

5. I can't wait until I don't feel like I am just using patients to meet my requirements, but instead I am really doing them a big service. So grateful for all of the mockboard patients that showed up and were so awesome to help us stressing students out.

Well guys, I guess it is onward and upward. Things on my to do list: local anesthesia test, patient education assignment, CHILL!

2 comments:

  1. Hey chicky! Yes I know what you mean about getting your requirements....its very frustrating walking the line of self help and pt treatment- so yes I can't agree with you more:) I wanted to also say 'thank you' too, that was really sweet to offer yourself as my patient when I was standing in the waiting room for 20 min wondering if my patient was going to show for mockboard. I appreciate the thoughtful gesture..your a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comment on #5... I feel the exact same way! It will be so nice to not have to worry about what requirements I need, and if the patient in my chair will help meet those requirements! I want to be able to just relax and actual enjoy what I am doing... being a hygienist! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete