Shabby blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

A breath of fresh air

I am finally feeling like I have my mojo back ( as Kelsey would say). I felt pretty down and out the past few weeks and I felt like I just wasn't doing well with any of my work. I felt like my school work wasn't as good and my clinic abilities were just out of funk. But today I felt like they were back on! I completed my mockboard patient this morning. She is the sweetest lady and she is so dependable and so nice. I was able to give her anesthesia and it was awesome! I love to work on patients with anesthesia because I feel like I can really get in there and clean without worrying about when they flinch. I would rather they flinch at the beginning for a minute and then it goes away. My favorite part of this morning was being able to see the health of the tissues in the area I have already been in. They looked so much better!!! I appreciated seeing this because I feel like when she leaves her tissues are so irritated from me being in those pockets, but after a few weeks of healing and rinsing with Listerine and doing better home care, her tissues looked amazing! Just one of those feel good moments! I was also able to pass off my ultrasonic PE with Instructor Perry, I like the way he quizzes us when he does the PE's because it helps to make sure we really understand why we do the things we do.
My second patient of the day canceled and this is the second time she has canceled on the day of treatment, so that is her last chance. I am not going to reschedule cancelers. But I was able to fill my afternoon with this really nice girl that goes to Weber State and I was able to get xrays and do my caries risk assessment PE. She had crazy amounts of saliva! I was actually pretty jealous. No wonder she only has a few fillings and not really any calculus at all! Go girl!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for posting so regularly, it really gives me an idea of how your are progressing clinically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am done scheduling people that cancel and no show too!! What a waste of my time! I wish people would come when they say they are going to! I think you are amazing Michelle! You keep me on my toes! Thanks for all your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. i have yet to have a week where someone didn't cancel - except mockboards. I even leave messages that say "please let me know either way if you can or cannot come, it is important to my grade" and yet I never get a courtesy call to let me know, they just don't show up. How can they not feel guilty for that. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. And I've had several patients who have cancelled on me 2+ times. I need to be firm and just say "no more, sorry!". Lets be firm ladies!

    ReplyDelete