Shabby blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanksgiving Break!

I just finished my last patient before Thanksgiving Break! She was the sweetest little latina lady. She is a patient of mine aunts. It is so tough to not be able to really talk to my patients. She only spoke spanish, so everything I said, her niece had to try and translate, but her niece doesn't speak spanish very good either. So we stumbled through the appt speaking what little of each others language that we could. I had a really good experience with her because I FINALLY checked all of the teeth for mobility and furcations! I am so proud because I usually either forget all together, or I just do a few teeth... I am not sure why I would only check a few, but it happens occasionally. But today is the first day I have remembered everything myself and Prof Alexander didn't have to say, What about...." and I had to secretly try and sneak whatever she saw onto the green sheet so I didn't get marked down again. I took xrays on her today and I took PA's of the front teeth,   (which I think I will make a common practice so that I can get PA's) and some of the teeth she had pain in. She had her upper wisdom teeth and she had a cavity on the distal of #16 and it was so dang hard to get all of the way in the back of her throat to get the xray. I usually get nervous taking upper PA's with the snap-a-ray because of angulation and stuff, but I took a pretty good PA of #16 and I got the very distal of it! I felt bad that the appt took so long though. And I didn't start cleaning her today because I would only have been able to complete 1 quadrant and then she would have had to wait until the end of January to finish her cleaning. So I asked her if she could come back in January over 2 weeks so we could complete the cleaning in a shorter time. She is such a sweet lady.
I am excited for Thanksgiving break coming up next week! But I am a little nervous because I am having surgery on Tuesday so I am probably just going to be healing throughout the break. And then when we come back we only have 1 week of class and then voila! Christmas break!
This semester has been really crazy and pretty stressful, but there have been so many wonderful learning experiences and I felt like I have matured so much as a hygienist and I just hope it keeps getting better!


SEE YOU GUYS ....tomorrow! ha ha

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the mobility girl! :) I still forget that myself. ALL the time!!! I definitely think it's crazy how things are coming together and I am actually feeling competent. You're awesome and I want to be just like you!!

    P.S. Surgery?!? Good luck with it! I'll pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that PA you took and I have to say that it was AMAZING!! You did a freaking awesome job getting it! You rock, I don't know how I would get through my days without you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about mobility. I ALWAYS forget to check for it. I have got to be better at checking for those very same things. Are you in my clinic in the Spring so you can remind me?

    ReplyDelete