Shabby blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

drug dilemma

I am at the VA today and my morning patient was pretty strung out on drugs. He said he was just "tired" from not getting a good nights sleep last night. I believed him at first, but then I read his note from last time and it said that he had asked for percocet and that they hadn't given it to him. He also said that some of his teeth hurt.... When the dentist came in he did some different tests to see what teeth were bugging him. My patient could barely keep his eyes open and his mouth was so extremely dry that he couldn't even swallow without his water from his waterbottle. This presented with a real dilemma as you can imagine. The patient is asking for 10mg of Percocet because it is "the only thing that will touch it" and fervently telling the dentist the Ibuprofen doesn't work. Needless to say it was really awkward in my pod this morning. I hope the afternoon goes better. I really need to pass of my LA and perio files. I wish I would have done it last week, hopefully I can get it done today, but if not then I will do it thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Awkward situation, I would have believed him too. It really sucks when pts are like that because it makes things uncomfortable for the Dentist and us!

    ReplyDelete