Shabby blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

First real clinic day!

Wowza! Today was crazy, plain and simple. I had 2 patients this morning and it was a lady and she was bringing her 6 year old daughter. I was planning on taking a pano and some bitewings because this little girl had never had xrays before. Working in a pediatric office has taught me that it is SOOOO important to get xrays early. We do surgery on kids as young as 1 year old! But the little girl started crying and it is clinic policy that you can't stand in the room when xrays are being taken.  So I wasn't able to get the bitewings on this little girl, but I was able to take a pano and that took a load off!
Next I started working on her mom and she spoke mostly spanish. We could understand each other very little. But I got to practice my spanish!  She said that she didn't want to do xrays and a cleaning today because she didn't have the money so I told her I would take a look around and then if she wanted we could just do the xrays and then she could come back for the cleaning. I did my OD and I started probing and she didn't have very deep pockets, but she had TONS of subgingival calculus! Because she had it all across the front I recommending taking a fmx and she said that was alright. So I took a full 18 xray series and I saved it in the wrong folder!!! And while I was taking xrays the xray machine wasn't exposing! So it took about 20 minutes longer to finish! But I think she is going to be a good mockboard patient!!!
This afternoon was much more relaxing. I had a guy that is a 1B and he was way nice and I didn't have a ton of deposit. But I learned something very valuable from Dr. Hanson, she showed me how to look for sheet calculus that is smooth.
I am so excited for second year!!!! I love that I can really start to do things on my own and that it is my judgement instead of having my hand held the whole time. FREEDOM!!! I love working on teeth and I love working with patients. This is the best profession!! Now I have a whole other week until clinic again!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so envious of all of you finding mock board patients! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pod buddy! That sounds like a crazy day! I did not even notice because you stay so calm in those situations. I hope she can be your mockboard patient!

    ReplyDelete