Shabby blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Final Mockboard!!!!

Alleluia!!! Final mockboard is finished! I never have to find another mockboard patient again! We were talking today about how bittersweet it is to be having all of these "last" things happen this semester. I am really going to miss this program and all of the girls and the instructors/professors. I can't think about this yet because it could put me in a depressing mood.

Something that doesn't put me in a depressing mood is thinking about clinic lunch time in the wet lab. It honestly doesn't get better. I love the chatting and the laughing and everything that goes on in the wet lab at lunch. If you read Marianne's post from today you will see why these days are so funny and entertaining. Love lunch in the wet lab.

Mockboards went pretty smoothly today. It seems like I have to learn some lessons the hard way though sometimes. My patient said she wanted to try without getting numb and so I acquiesced and said that we could try and start out with no numbing but if she needed it then we could definitely use it towards the end.  Well she was getting really tender towards the end, especially on her anteriors because there was some recession. I could feel there were still a couple of spots, but she was so jumpy that I just stopped scaling those areas. From now on (so for boards) my patient is going to be numb! Lesson learned. I also scaled the quad I have the most trouble with, the lower right.  The lower right quad is the bane of my dental hygiene existence! So I sacrificed today by doing the lower right so that I can do the lower left for real boards. I just feel like I can't get enough leverage to really get in and scrape the calculus off. I wish I could do it with my left hand from the other side. It would be like having 2 lower left quads, and I would rejoice over that. But I am really blessed because my patient is so nice and getting her teeth cleaned are important to her so I don't have to beg her to come and have a huge service done. 

I feel like it has been forever since I blogged, but then I realized that it has been a long time since I was in clinic. The whole month of february I will not have a full clinic day. 2 of the days I was gone and the other 2 days were mockboards. It is a good thing that we were able to see a patient on our half day after LA or else I would not have seen a regular patient the whole month of February in the Weber clinic.

My time at Weber State is drawing to a close in just a few short months and it is a little sad to me. I have loved being in school and in a learning environment. I can't think to deeply about that right now so I better go. Until my next post. Peace out Peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment